A common issue that homeowners face is a furnace making humming noise. This could be due to several different issues, such as a dirty air filter, faulty blower motor, or worn components within the furnace itself. Most of these can be resolved with some general cleaning and maintenance.
There are a few potential reasons your furnace might be making a humming noise:-
- The blower motor may be the source of the humming noise. If the bearings in the motor are worn out, it can cause a humming sound.
- The burners may be making a humming noise. If the burners are dirty or not properly adjusted, they can produce a humming sound as they burn fuel.
- The ignition system could be the cause of the humming noise. If the ignition system is not functioning properly, it can create a humming sound as it tries to ignite the burners.
- A humming noise can also signify a more serious issue with the furnace, such as a malfunctioning fan or a gas leak.
However, if you suspect any of the components within your system have wear or tear, it is always recommended to reach out to an HVAC professional for assistance. The technician will not only identify the cause of the hum but also provide the best solution to repair the equipment and restore your home’s comfort level.
Troubleshooting the blower motor
If you suspect that the humming noise coming from your furnace is caused by the blower motor, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue:
- Check for any visible damage to the motor, such as bent or broken fan blades. If you find any damage, the motor will likely need to be replaced.
- Locate the access panel on your furnace and look for any loose bolts or screws. Tighten any loose bolts or screws that you find.
- Check the belt that connects the motor to the blower wheel. If the belt is loose or damaged, it could be causing the humming noise.
- Inspect the blower wheel for any debris blocking it. Clear any debris that you find.
- Check the motor bearings for wear. If the bearings are worn out, they may need to be replaced.
If you are unable to determine the cause of the furnace making humming noise or if you are concerned about the issue, it is best to have a professional heating and cooling technician diagnose and fix the problem.